Sunday, August 10, 2008

There Goes My Life...

As most parents with small kids do, I am always ‘almost tripping’ over all sorts of toys that have been scattered about the house. Stuffed animal on the stairs, Littlest Pet Shop figures on the bathroom floor, stray Baby Einstein DVDS- their cases having gone missing months ago- strewn all over the living room, waiting for me to crack them in half with one poorly placed step.

This morning I almost tripped and fell on the way into the bathroom. My kneejerk was to scream out, “MOTHERFUCKER!!!!”…then I thought better of it (much as I am cool with cussing, I try not to do it in front of the girls) and so instead I decided to yell, “AAALLLLVIN!!!!” But that was only because we had just seen the movie version of Alvin and the Chipmunks a few weeks ago. The girls would have thought I was just goofing on the movie so I decided not to, as I didn’t want them to think leaving their stuff all around was ok.

But amid the annoyance and anger, it occurred to me how amazingly lucky I am. How amazingly lucky to even be in a situation where I could have almost tripped over some toys that would not even be in my house had I not had kids.

I have kids.

And I’m one of those people who WANTED to have kids. And- by the grace of whatever it is that you think is out there- I actually got them. And it really is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

And so tripping over toys, or waking up at 3am to take care of my youngest who has the croup (which I did last nite), or taking my oldest to the circus when I’m really not in the mood to go (which I did today) are all things that- when I stop to think- are things that I am so grateful I get to experience. These experiences, these memories are some of the greatest treasures of my life and to be aware that these things are indeed treasures WHILE I are in the midst of raising my kids- versus years later when, in some ways, it's sort of too late- well, for that, I am blessed and I am grateful.

I was taking the trash out the other day and both my girls were ‘helping’ me wheel the cans to the curb. I ran into a neighbor who was packing up his car and he looked a little shell shocked. I don’t know him all that well, but he’s always friendly. I waved, he waved. Then he pointed at my girls and said something to the effect of, “Enjoy it man, goes by so fast…”

And he would know.

Because on that very morning he was in the process of loading up his car with luggage for his 18 year old daughter (he has two girls as well) who would be- a little later that day- heading off to her first year of college.

And I was so grateful for that moment, because it was like God/The Universe/The Angels/a Random Firing In My Brain That Has No Spiritual Aspect To It At All was tapping me on the shoulder and reminding me that I have been given a gift. And even though it’s so incredibly easy to forget- when all the day to day chores of being a parent are crashing down around you- the reality is: it is a gift.

Those gifts are- finally!-sleeping in the room next to me as I type this. And I am grateful for the silence in the house.

But a small part of me is hoping they will wake me up again at 3am just so I can hang out with my girls a little bit more :)

Chat later!

David

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You nearly made me tear up, Jaffe. Good luck with your kids, man. Just keep on loving them.

Rick Yutig said...

Well. That sure turned my mood around. Thanks Dave.

Hyacinthe Lemieux said...

I agree I just about cried...

Anonymous said...

Life is amazing...I find myself saying that daily...

Anonymous said...

I didnt see much of my dad at all as a kid. later on in my teens he tried to spend time with me and my brothers and by then it was indeed to late. I got in highschool and spent my summers playing football and doing other stuff that occupied my time. It sucks that he didnt spend time with us as children but I never bring it up since I dont believe in purposely causing greif to people, there is no point to it. I would try to put myself in his shoes and think how he would feel if he blew his one shot at teaching his sons anything at all and spending legit time with them as children. I would feel pretty bad, you only have one chance. But I try to remember the good times no matter how few they were. I hope to give my kids what I didn't have. But that is a long ways off. I doubt I'll have any for atleast 10 or more years.

DBVII said...

You have no idea how much that post spoke to me.

My wife and I have been married 3 years and the children topic is always a touchy one because honestly, I'm scared to death. I have this little voice in the back of my mind that makes me think that once we have kids, my life goes away. But, reading your blog, seeing how you still have this great fulfilled life, AND you have, love, and cherish your kids really makes me realize that I DO want kids...and I think I'm ready.

Thanks man, you really helped a perfect stranger out today!

Benjamin Gilbert said...

This is a really great post amigo. I'm so glad to see some parents with respect for the job they're doing and appreciation of the fact that children, while life changing, are a good thing. Just make sure you keep them away from those violent videogames, lest you undo all that good parenting! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write. The way you put emotions in your words.


BY the way do you think they'll screw up the PRINCE OF PERSIA MOVIE.

Give me an honest reply..

Nikkoa said...

Nice post David, the bottom line for me being, I HOPE I DON'T HAVE GIRLS. God help them.

Anonymous said...

I don't have kids but felt I had to step in as a big brother, father figure when it came to my little cousins, a then 7 year old girl and 6 year old boy. Didn't really want to but someone had to. That was my attitude going into it but doing so changed my life, gave me purpose. The girl is 20 now and the boy is almost 19. Its true that you have to enjoy them right now. One day you will not be their "Star" anymore and while upsetting at first you move on. Still I have NO regrets for becoming a part of their lives.

-DarkEde

Anonymous said...

You know David what will really be amazing? When your girls grow up, go into puberty and start to create their little burdens with their parents, you should give them the link to this blog and let them read what a loving and thankful father you are :)

I am happy for you that you got the chance of having children, life is too short to waste it and to live is not to run away from issues, problems and little daily hills.

Anonymous said...

Dam that was awesome... I'm expecting my little boy in January.

Anonymous said...

this is really touching and all david...but

give us some fucking sneak previews of the new TM already! i've been checking this blog for nearly a year now, every day.. i was ready to kill someone on your little hiatus.

the code in the ETE game, and the little snippets of poorly drawn levels is only teasing my cock!

Anonymous said...

"AAALLLLVIN!!!!" <<<< LMAO

David Jaffe said...

st00pid...two things:

a- if this is the site you come to to get your cock teased, I propose that you have a very shitty search engine.

b- Our new game will prob. not be officially announced for 6-8 months. It's Sony's call and I don't think we'll be ready to show it off till then. And at that point, they may decide to wait for a trade show (GDC or E3) to make an announce or just do a single, standalone announce for the game...all things to be decided down the line...but yes, announce and screens and movies and all that is a ways off....

Luke S. said...

Thanks for the post Jaffe. Having a second one on the way myself, its always good to hear something positive out of another parent rather than the usual complaining I hear from most.

Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

ahhhh i figured as much

but don't sell your self short, you're a sexy beast man! RAWR!

Since you can't talk TM, can i ask for your opinion?

what are the chances of us seeing a War of the Monsters sequel on either the 360 or ps3?

Joel said...

beautiful.


personally, i dunno, the thought of having a daughter freaks me out.

i wouldn't want to be overprotective, but i'd be very worried about guys duping them, etc.

i dunno.

anyways, you sound like you make a great father. keep up the good work.

Chris Brown said...

That was great, man.

scarslasher said...

Thanks, Jaffe. Or maybe I should call you David. :P

I want kids someday, too.. but that's not really what this comment is about.

This blog inspired me to go to my girlfriend, who I'm on the verge of breaking up with, and tell her things from my heart that even I was surprised to hear myself say.

I told her how I wanted to stay, to hear her giggles again, to get married (no, I didn't propose, but that's a more long-term goal right now), to have three happy children, to grow old with her.

Apparently, the way I put it.. which I admit, seemed kinda desperate for her.. moved her.


Thank you, David, for reminding me what I was about to lose. If it weren't for your blog, my "swee" wouldn't be leaning on me on the loveseat right now as I'm typing this.

Anonymous said...

Awesome story. A friend of mine is having a child soon and I'm quite envious. Far from likely to try have one of my own soon - @ 22, in my circumstance, it's probably ill-advised - but I can't wait 'til I too take the plunge.