Tuesday, February 16, 2010

WHY I WANT TO MAKE FUN...

Saw this amazing quote from the great critic Roger Ebert in this fantastic write up of his life (yes, I still love his work no matter what he says about video games).

The quote really expresses why I will be totally happy and proud if the video game work I do in my life does 'nothing more' than entertains and makes people happy. This quote represents the reason why I could give 2 shits about being known as an artiste or doing 'important work' for our culture, society, species, whatever. This quote explains why, to me, fun (and fun ALONE) is one of the most noble gifts we can give each other.

Here is what Ebert says:

I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.


Love that! Thanks Roger!

David